Wild Man and the Stranger

 

Wild Man and the Stranger

            It was silent. Man with a swirling-leaf soul, very fragile, was wandering the huge forest. He was almost naked, only had the fur of his last game on him. He was so filthy that he was indistinguishable from the earth itself. His hair resembled a bush while his face was all brown from dirt and blood. The man was from Uruk. The great land of everyday festivals, bonds, and glory. The land of civilization and language. But his homeland was far away and the forest was full of silence, it was senseless to speak.

 

The wild man was resting when Odysseus saw him. Odysseus felt like he was trapped. He somehow knew if he had moved even a bit, the wild man would have taken his life in a heartbeat. The man was so mighty in strength, yet Odysseus was clever. "Hello, friend" he whispered. Before Odysseus could finish his sentence, the beast had already put his axe on his throat. Odysseus smelled the distinct scent of blood and dirt. Then he realized axe had been a masterpiece of an artisan, full of gems and engravings, but not anymore.

 

The man was holding the axe so straight and so strong that anyone could have thought it was part of his arm. Odysseus knew that the only thing holding back the beast from straight-up killing him was his words. His words had woken up the man's mind and soul, which were sleeping for so long.

 

"Who are you to sneak up on me?" grunted the wild man. Odysseus was relieved as he heard these words, his risky plan had worked. He knew the wild man was less wild now on. As Odysseus believed, being human is by talking.

 

"I am Odysseus. I have come from afar. At first, I didn't realize but now I know by my heart, you are Gilgamesh. Who else is so mighty in strength and so talented with his weapon? I have seen many gods and their sons and daughters too, yet I haven't seen any like you." Gilgamesh stood still. He was reminding Odysseus of a statue with his very solid form.

 

"You, stranger, are not wrong. I am indeed called Gilgamesh by my fellow people, by my father and mother. This is the name everyone knows, for a reason. I killed many and achieved glory with my adventures. So, tell me, stranger, why shouldn't I kill you too? What good you could bring to me?"

 

Odysseus knew he was dancing on the razor's edge. He chose his words warily. “Oh Gilgamesh, glorious Gilgamesh, I have come here seeking some answers.” he lied, “Tell me, I wonder: who has the strength of a hundred men?"

 

"Of course, I, Gilgamesh, am so powerful, look nowhere else!" he snarled.

 

"And who is half-god, more god than human," Odysseus asked right away, "has the wisdom of an owl?"

 

"Of course, I, Gilgamesh, have the blood of the divine gods on my veins and more wisdom than an owl!" he roared.

 

"And who is the king of the Uruk, the people and all of the known world, I ask you?"

 

"Of course, I, Gilgamesh, am the king of the Uruk, the people and all of the known world. I am the king of this whole forest even. Look at me, I am the king!" his voice was loud as thunder, "But my patience is over, enough of your questions! I will kill you then proceed my journey after the night's rest."

 

Odysseus plead "Wait Gilgamesh, I beg you. I am your guest as you are the host. Forest is all yours as you are the king. For the sake of the custom, I gave you my truthful words of praise as a gift, in return I only ask for mercy."

 

Gilgamesh stood still. "You, my beloved guest, are not wrong." he put down his axe and inspected Odysseus, "If the mercy is what you ask for, it is yours."

Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

Mitolojiler ve Halk Folklorlarında Karga-Kuzgun Motifi

1 - Onurdoğan: Yaver

5 - Onurdoğan: Benzediği Kadar Farklı